Animal Identification - TattooingWednesday, 12th May 2021
By Dr Mackie Hobson
Animal Identification is by law something all producers must do in South Africa. Identification also has a number of Husbandry, Health and Welfare benefits for example:
- Prevent theft
- Maintaining mother/kid bond- Nutrition/milk supply and reducing maternal stress through separation.
- Enable treatment animals without isolating and adding to stress
- Monitoring of animal data such as weights to enable early detection of health concerns
- TST (Target Selective Treatment) in roundworm management, identifying animals that require anthelmintic treatment and reducing dependence on anthelmintics through selection and reduced treatments.
- Maintain accurate health records of vaccination, treatments and nutrition.
- Selection of traits such as the hardy gene or disease/parasite resistance to reduce welfare concerns.
See the Mohair Best Practice video on Tattooing https://www.angoras.co.za/article/sa-mohair-industry-best-practice-tattooing
BY LAW LIVESTOCK MUST BE IDENTIFIED in South Africa.
Below South African Department: Agriculture Land Reform and Rural Development (DALRRD)
Jan Nel- Veterinary Law application and Law Enforcement (Feb 2021)